Most Viewed Posts Today

Monday, November 17, 2014

Better Healthcare Options in Thailand

A summary of my first visit to Samitivej Hospital in Bangkok, with a positive review.

There are many reasons to love Thailand: the weather, the shopping, and... yes, the health care. In Thailand, especially Bangkok, you'll find some very good hospitals with cost-effective treatment. It's a combination of good quality treatment, updated equipment, and special hospitality that you cannot get in the US or many other countries for this low price.

There are a series of five-star hospitals in Bangkok, most notably: Samitivej, Vejthani, Bumrungrad, Bangkok Hospital, and Siriraj Hospital, and also Ramkhamhaeng International Hospital (has great health check-up programs).

These hospitals, especially Samitivej and BNH, have a lot of experience with foreign patients, and a good percentage of their patients come specifically from other countries for treatment. The staff can speak many languages, including English and Japanese. Most of the Thai doctors have studied at top universities in the US and Europe, and are well-informed on the latest treatments. The hospitals are all relatively new and have the most modern equipment available. However, the most important feature is the personalized care. They tend to over-staff (compared with under-staffing in the US). You won't wait long to see a physician, and many nurses will be available to take your temperature and get you ready for your appointment right away. If you do need a short wait, the waiting rooms are very private, often having small areas with couches and a wall of plants to give you privacy. They even serve you water or tea while you wait!

On my first visit to Samitivej Hospital, I was a bit nervous. I am a squeamish American, and a bit of a baby when it comes to hospitals. I was living in Bangkok, and I had an accident one morning, in which I managed to break my foot and gash it open. After wrapping it in a towel, I jumped into a taxi and headed to the hospital. Upon arrival, several orderlies whisked me off in a wheelchair toward the proper treatment area... immediately. The building was clean and spacious, and I noticed many restaurants on the first floor. A nurse spoke English and took my blood pressure, as we headed up to the 4th floor.

Within 7 minutes I was seeing a doctor, an orthopedist, who also spoke perfect English. He gently examined my foot, then rushed me off to x-rays. I was not left to wander the hospital in search of radiology; instead someone took me to the x-ray rooms and then brought me back to wait for the doctor. After just a few minutes, the doctor saw me again and had all my x-rays up on computer screens ... just moments to have them zoomed to his office. He recommended minor surgery to remove the toenail and set one small bone. I agreed, and minutes later, he was operating on me. The room and equipment were very modern and clean.
After the minor operation, I was taken to the pharmacy center, where my prescription was filled (right there!) and I was presented with the bill. In Thai baht, it equaled about $200! Unbelievable. About 1 and a half hours after entering, I was finished and the cost was minor. An appointment was made for me to come back the next day to freshly re-wrap the wound, and an orderly took me downstairs to a taxi. Only then did I notice the massive gardens and quiet pond in front of the hospital.

Samitivej Srinakarin Branch

I had several other incidents there over the years, all handled just as professionally as this day. Health care in Thailand is famous, and now I know why. Many people go there from the USA just for that reason, either for a hip replacement, or some other major treatment that would be handled expensively in the US. Compared with the x-ray cattle-call I experienced at a major hospital in the US, the personalized experience I had in Bangkok was almost a pleasure.

See also: 



On your next visit to Southeast Asia, consider having some dental or health problem taken care of.... Or maybe plan the trip just for that. The hospitals in Thailand and Malaysia are wonderful. Don't ever underestimate the value of TLC (extra care).

No comments:

Post a Comment